Fork me on GitHub

Monday, September 27, 2010

The Fair Elections Now Act (S. 752 and H.R. 1826)

For those who don't know, The Fair Elections Now Act is a bill that was recently introduced and passed by the Committee on House Administration regarding a new campaign funding model in an attempt to regulate special interest funding and ensure that our representation are not held in the pockets of "Big Business." All that remains is for a vote on the floor of the House. I'm quite pleased to see change in this regard, but I had some concerns about its legitimacy and wanted to seek some other opinions on the matter. I have recently sent the following message to Dr. Ron Paul, U.S. Representative, Texas Congressional District 14, which I am also sharing here:

Dear Dr. Paul et al,

I've been a fan and supporter for some time and find that while we may have some minor disagreements, we share very similar views on many core issues.

Recently I've been looking into The Fair Elections Now Act which calls attention to an aspect of government that I feel desperately needs change. I definitely see problems with special interest funding but some of the Act's supporters surprise me and the amount of money "Good Government" groups are investing in advertising could be a good sign, but I do still have to wonder. As one of the few elected independents and a supporter of grassroots campaigns I went about looking for your stance on the bill to try to get another perspective from a politically aware person I respect, but I see you're still undecided on the matter. I realize that I'm not in your congressional district and that you may not reply to this message, but if necessary, in lieu of direct contact, I'd like to ask if you could at least take the time to make a public statement on H.R. 1826 so that those of us still up in the air on whether or not to contact our representation can consider your view as someone who might better understand the underlying and long term implications therein.

Thanks much for your time and passion about compassion; may your days be well

No comments: